19 January 2010

Fwd: Netflix rental by zipcode

Greg sent me this a while ago... finally looked at it. I think since then it has actually hit slashdot, etc. But Greg got it first. ;)

Anyway, near me it seems that there are only 1-2 netflix subscribers in 21077 (see Tropic Thunder) and 21765 (Bucket List). I'll let you draw your own conclusions about "Tyler Perry's ____" (there are two).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Greg Doyle


This is an amazing piece of data-mining. A top 100-ish national
rentals from netflix for 12 US cities, overlaid on a map.
DC is included, the pattern is very binary for much of it. 295(b/w
parkway) clearly divides many of these movies. A few other hotspots -
the very wealthy area around great falls, a bit of an inside/outside
the beltway, military bases  - but the 295 thing is amazing.

I do not know if you need to register with ny times or not, i am, or
if the link is deep enough, and the programing poor enough, to get
around any issue


http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/01/10/nyregion/20100110-netflix-map.html?hp



--
"Curse my intensely burning apathy!"
 - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz